Sunday, June 14, 2009

selling out

we decided to put a few things out this year for the neighborhood garage sale.
i just wanted to make a little more room in the garage. i gathered up a changing table, three strollers, a baby dresser, exersaucer, and many more things of that variety. i did not want to mess with selling clothes or any other little thing that had to be organized on a table. only big things.

i love and hate having garage sales. i love chatting with the nice neighbors and people who peruse your things. i love making extra spending money and cleaning my house up a little. i hate dragging all of your stuff out to the driveway and back in to the garage. i hate the people who come and argue prices with you.

my youngest children really really hated the whole thing. both maggie and ashton begged me not to sell their things. mind you, these are things they haven't touched or probably even knew still existed. i guess it would bug me too if somebody started dragging out things i once loved
and essentially giving them away to strangers.

i sold this tiny little stroller which maggie's bottom didn't really even fit in. she never once rode in it, we only owned it for a few weeks. when she saw the mom push it back to her car, my 2 year old starts screaming at her, "NO NO NO - DAT MY STROWER. NO NO NO - GIVE IT BACK!!" she chased her all the way to her car door and tried to shove her booty in the stroller.
i just smiled and waved bye to the nice lady while maggie lay in the driveway screaming about her stroller and how much she wanted it back.

another lady came and loved all of my things. she loved them so much she wanted pretty much everything i had out. she bought my big fancy pink stroller, my cute little pink pack & play, my bassinet, and my changing table. my changing table that my dad bought when i had molly.
the same changing table that all four of my little newborns got their diapers changed on, got lotioned up on after baths, and had their cute little newborn things stored in.
she bought it all, didn't argue with me on prices and carried it off to her car.
the whole time i wanted to chase after her, to scream at her to give me back all of my stuff, that im not ready to get rid of it after all.

and then it was gone. the driveway was empty. yay we are done. hooray - no more clunky baby crap taking up space. i don't have to drag anything back into the garage!!

i hate garage sales. i really hate them.

3 comments:

lh said...

I hear you. I still have the big, clunky stroller that has been used less than five times ever sitting in my garage. Can't seem to part with it, even though it seems to be useless. Hopefully someday I will be as brave as you and have a big, fat garage sale. But I might need you to come and help me-for moral support!

Unknown said...

You are sooooo having a 5th...it's a shame you are going to have to go buy all that stuff all over again!!!

You better hope they pour acid in your uterus and light it with a torch!!! Good luck at your appointment.

Anonymous said...

Hey wanted to let you know the running advice is helping...I'm up to 2 songs without vomit. And you will be happy to know my start off song is "Baby Got Back", then when I'm done, I walk it on down with some Lionel Richie. Lookout, MC Hammer may be in the mix before you know it! :)