Thursday, July 24, 2008

turning 34

so i am turning 34 on saturday. its a big deal because this is middle 30's. im a grown up now.
im working all weekend during my birthday, so my husband and i went out today to celebrate.
my choice, so i picked going to the mall to see my beloved "lush" store in person, and then out to dinner. i do so love that store, it's my toy store. they have all sorts of soaps, shampoos, body butters, salt scrubs, chapsticks, bubble baths, you name it. and its all vegan, all natural and smelly. its like my favorite sort of thing on this planet.
so fun. the person working there was flamboyantly gay, and loved the products as much as i did.
jeff did really well listening to him describe them all, how to use them, until he went into detail about the big blue calm jelly which he loved to just freeze and then rub right on his skin. no loofah, nothing, just the cool coconut smelling jelly and his skin. it was then that i was smiling and nodding and jeff suddenly jetted on me. hey babe, its my birthday, so get back over here and enjoy the story.
he encouraged me to pick out a couple of things i would normally never ever buy for myself.
a 10 dollar bar of soap? but i did and i love it. we then went to eat at some place called wil jenny's, of course i had to try my namesake. it was good, tex-mex, fairly cheap. i felt guilty about not working out, so when we got home i made jeff's mom stay a while longer and then made him go for a walk with me. all in all, a great birthday with my hubby. i guess the kids and i will celebrate with cake later.
oh and amy - fyi - i did go into sephora. jeff was there to provide me support. it was not all i imagined. 90 dollar face cream, 30 dollar chapstick, 200 dollar curling irons. and the girls working were very tall, skinny, dressed in black and their hair was slicked back real hateful.
they did not make me feel happy and cozy, just nervous, fat and target/walmartish.
now the boy at lush, however, he was way fun and didn't care a bit that i was carrying a diaper bag and wearing jean capris.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yea!! pics of those cute babies!! : ) Thanks!!!

OK, after the description, I have to say I would probably agree with the Lush over Sephora salespeople as well. tall, skinny, with hateful hair? who needs 'em?

As for POSTING at 9:30 after your shopping/dinner AND walk birthday celebration......with Lush products in hand.......well...... you know what I'm going to say.....

lh said...

who are you kidding, jen? you will always be a kid at heart, no matter the age. And where better to spend your birthday than at work where we all love you? And where our eyes will NOT glaze over when you start describing the cool, blue calm jelly. Although I'm gonna go ahead and say I don't blame jeff on that one, I mean some random guy talking about how he uses his bath products? no thanks. So happy birthday to you, may someone bring you a big, 7 lb. chocolate cake!