Monday, March 2, 2009

two things

a couple things touched me tonight. i was walking into work on my fourth night, the ucc is packed beyond compare, standing room only, and i was following in this guy. he was walking ahead of me and had on carhart jeans, work boots, roughened dirty hands and a scruffy face. a blue collar worker, big, burly guy. in one arm was a bag with a soft little brand new pink bear, in the other a take out bag of dinner. a daddy going to see his little girl in the hospital, who thought to stop and buy her a pink teddy bear on his way in. i don't know why, but i wished for a camera, he was so gruff looking, and then his arms full of things for his daughter and wife just melted me. maybe im just working too much.

anyhow, on to the other thing. i sent my friend a copy of this poem when she found out she was pregnant with number five. it has always been a favorite of mine, and i saw it posted on mcmama's blog tonight.


i will post it here, its just another little thing that gets me right in that (love your children so much it hurts) spot.

Song for a Fifth Child.

Mother, O Mother, come shake out your cloth, Empty the dustpan, poison the moth.

Hang out the washing, make up the bed, Sew on a button and butter the bread

Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?

She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.

Oh, I've grown as shiftless as Little Boy Blue.

Lullabye, rockabye, lullabye loo.

Dishes are waiting and bills are past due.

Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo.

The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew.

And out in the yard there's a hullabaloo

But I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo

Look! Aren't his eyes the most wonderful hue? Lullabye, rockaby lullabye loo.

The cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow -

But children grow up as I've learned to my sorrow.

So quiet down cobwebs; Dust go to sleep!

I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

No comments: