Friday, January 9, 2009

big girl on a little trail

so i am still trying to "be fit" as i called it in my resolutions, not really focused on the weight so much as i am on getting in shape. i work out for 30 minutes a day 6 days a week, most of the time 7, but i give myself the option of resting one of those days.

i started jogging many months ago as you know. well, i am now able to run the length of my subdivision trail all the way from one end to the other end and back again. i believe this is a little over two miles. not a marathon by any means, but progress for a girl who couldn't run around the block last summer for sure.

today was beautiful outside, so after i woke up i got dressed and headed out. i was feeling good, listening to my super uncool songs on my ipod (think a mix of mmmm bop, my humps, michael jackson, shakira, and it gets worse) enjoying the suprisingly warm day and running right along.
i was thinking to myself, man, over half way through and i am doing good - i may be even a little faster now. woo hoo, i am hot to trot - in my big tee shirt and mismatched sweatpants.

and then it happened.

my ego went poof, right into the air.

over my ipod which happened to be rockin to some old school arrested developement, i hear, "excuse me", "on your left". oh, bikers i think and scooch over. no not bikers, two super skinny girls in tight tank tops, running pants and matching sports bras pushing jogging strollers with their newborns. running, zoomed right past me. yes i said newborns.
and then came another gal right behind them. super cute with a double jogging stroller holding toddlers. probably 50 lbs worth of toddlers, and she just zoomed right on by me with her cute little nike visor and pony tail. i think the little boy even looked at me and giggled.

that was a breath of reality. big girl on a little trail. keep on running sista, you got a long long way to go.

1 comment:

lh said...

Come on over to my neighborhood, sister. That kind of perkiness is not required, nor is it encouraged. In fact, if you lived by me I might just have to get out on my porch and cheer you on as you ran by! Those girls might have matching work out clothes (dude, they were SO the nannies. the real moms were inside watching you jog by and enjoying their chocolate donuts)but I bet you money they don't have their own cheering section! You know where you can find me!