Thursday, January 22, 2009

18-36 months

people are always telling me they feel bad that i have to work so much, but they should really be feeling bad for the guy left at home.
in addition to our own four children, there were three neighborhood kids over this evening. all seven were trying to play the wii, and my three year old was not sharing very well. curled up in a ball hiding the controller screaming sort of not sharing. my 20 month old was flinging meatballs across the kitchen. i grabbed my lunch, kissed my husband and enjoyed my peaceful drive to work.
he called a little later and begged me to come get my youngest. he actually requested me to come get her and see if i could mail her to siberia. my sweet little maggie? i mean, what could she possibly be doing wrong now?
he said she pulled off her shoes, socks and pants. then she pulled off her diaper.
then she stood up on our cloth couch and peed right on it. after peeing a good puddle, she laid down and rolled around in the urine.
while lying there, soaking up the pee, she said "oh no, mee mee made a mess. ohhhhh noooo.
messy mess daddy."
why?? i will tell you why. because she has hit the dreaded 18-36 month stage.
once they turn 18 months, all sweetness and reason goes out the window. they are in this world for themselves only. you can attempt all the love and logic you want, but they aren't going to be reasoned with.
they do horrid things like throw themselves on the ground in target. they take full cups of water and throw it on the kitchen floor, only to tell you "oh no, mee mee made a mess" and they pee on the furniture, just because they can. and they delight in getting a rise out of you. it has taken me four kids, but i have learned. just sit back and wait the third birthday. they will then return to your little angel, and you can start up the love and logic again. until then, sit back and enjoy the ride.


i had hope for this sweet little blond haired blue eyed cherub, but no such luck.
here we go... only 16 months to go.

2 comments:

lh said...

really? all I need is for him to turn three? I've got this then, only two more weeks to go! And you better be right, because I only have about two weeks of patience left. oh, crap, what if they're early, though? Do I have to factor in the fact that he was six weeks early? Just fifteen days to go!

annie said...

Oh no. We've got a long road ahead of us. I'm sorry to laugh. I know that must have been horrible in the moment about Maggie peeing on the couch. It just makes me feel so much better when all my friends tell these stories! :)