Sunday, October 3, 2010

can i get an AMEN?

those of you who know me will get a kick out of this. if you know me, you are aware of the fact that i have a problem with inappropriate laughter when i am tired. it just bubbles over me and i can't stop. nothing will stop. i laugh until i am full out crying, head down, tears rolling, just can't control it. the weirdest things will set it off. it most often happens at 3 or 4 in the morning, while at work.
today, it happened at church. i chose to stay up for the service after working all night.
in the middle of worship sitting next to my unsuspecting husband, i got overcome with the giggles. i guess he has never seen me do it before.
we were singing "our god is greater, our god is stronger" and so on. then it happened.
this little old lady behind us starts to sing. i mean she really sang it out. she had this vibrato that i couldn't replicate if i tried, almost like a cartoon character. she was really loud. the first note and i started to giggle. then she kept going, and so did i. jeff just shook his head and held my arm. he may of said something about this not being junior high, but i couldn't hear over my giggling and her singing.
then the sermon started. it was quiet and i had composed myself.
the pastor said a couple of things and she belts out - "AMEN. MMMHMMM." again, really loud and in that crazy voice. every ten to twenty seconds she repeated herself. it was just too much. i prayed, i thought about other things. i tucked my head in my shirt and covered my face with my hair. and then she would say it again. "MMMMHHHHMMMM, AMEN" oh please. please stop. i couldn't even leave because we were blocked in.
then he was telling a story and he says, i told you last week about the tree falling on my head, and she interrupts and says "OH YES YOU DID. MMMHHHMMM. AMEN."
in my defense, i noticed another couple smiling in front of us, and the little boy directly in front of me turned around once. im not sure if it was to see me or the lady, we were both probably causing a stir.
better luck next week.

1 comment:

Jill said...

Ok, I am dying as I read this. Been there, done that. My sister's first communion was the day after my senior prom. So here I was, with my mother and I up all night, in church, and this lady makes a huge scene leaving church to take her kid potty. Comes back right down the center of church, like 8 months preggo, with her dress tucked in her underpants. Hysterics. My mom and I were dying right there while everyone else is trying to politely contain themselves. Even the priest was giving us dirty looks. I truly thought we were going to be booted from church that day :)