Sunday, December 14, 2008

i am constantly reminded of the important things in life. i am really guilty of getting wrapped up in the superficial details, media, other's perceptions, so on and so forth... but something or someone comes around and reminds me of what really matters, puts me in my place.
i was stressing earlier this week about my list of things to do, christmas parties, birthday party, christmas eve dinner and more silly things. i was telling my dad i thought we might try and make the 10 am candle light service so it wouldn't interfere with dinner and family time if we went in the evening as usual. he responded with, just do what you want to, don't alter you plans around me, i will probably be in the hospital for christmas eve.
say what? why?
(this is the same dad i almost lost last year to a dissected aorta on his birthday)
well, i guess when doing his routine cat scan to check how his aortic valve and other various replacement parts were working, they saw a nodule in his chest. they did a pet scan thursday and have scheduled surgery to remove it on dec 23rd. moving kind of fast in my opinion, so they must be worried. crap. are you telling me that after miraculously surviving a fatal dissection he could have cancer? that just doesn't seem fair.
anyhow... the point of the story... be thankful for everything in your life, small to big.

don't worry about what time you will sit down for christmas dinner, just be thankful your family will be sitting down for that dinner.

don't fret that your babies are fighting, fussing and making you crazy, just be thankful that they are fighting fussing and you are around to be crazy.

in that same thought, a friend of mine was fretting over how she may have screwed up as a mom because her son hated to go to sleep without being loved on and rocked to sleep first. don't you ever for a second fret about that. i know there are always people who have children who give up the binky on time, go to bed right at 8, sleep all night, nap on time, give up the bottle on time, and that is great! but don't you ever fret because you love your baby so much you feel the need to hold them until they sleep. i promise you won't regret it.
just don't get so busy making sure you are doing everything right that you miss out on the doing of it all.
can anybody tell that my baby is way too quickly approaching two years old and my oldest will shortly be eight? im way emotional over it.

1 comment:

annie said...

Thank you so much, Jen. I really appreciate your kind and loving words. I'll be praying for your dad. Tonight in UCC they found a new heart murmur and ECG abnormality in Park. Made me glad I don't give up any of those chances to love on him! I thought he just had another ear infection!