Wednesday, March 10, 2010

dental trouble

so molly and i had our dentist appointments yesterday. i thought it would be clever to take maggie along so she could start getting used to the dentist chair and what happens there.
dr. george is about 15 minutes away. about 14 minutes into the car ride, maggie falls asleep. its 4pm. she isn't really allowed to nap that late, bc that means there will be a party at our house until around, oh say midnight.
i pulled in, got her out and carried her in with molly by my side. she fell back asleep on my shoulder. i let molly go first while i held mags, thinking 10 minutes should do her ok.
molly's teeth were lovely, she was done and it was my turn. maggie was still snoozing on my shoulder. i tried to gently lay her down on a blanket they got for me.
well, gently doesn't happen when your 6 feet tall and your child is 42 lbs. i lugged her on the ground, surely this would wake her. nope. she fell asleep, flat on her back in the middle of our little cubicle.
this rotten child won't sleep at home on my pillow top mattress with fleece blankets and pillows. now she decides to sleep on tile floor in a brightly lit dental office?
give me a break.
i got in the chair, let the tech start cleaning my teeth and told molly to start gently waking her. kindly rub her leg and talk to her please.
so molly, being the lovely child she is, rubs maggie's leg and asks her if she would like one of her prizes.
im locked in the chair with drool coming out of my mouth and a bib on.
maggie springs awake and starts kicking the very thin wall, still on her back, and begins screaming. "NOOOOOO MOLLLY I DONT WANT YOUR TREATS. NOOOO NOOO NOOO NOOO..."
over and over, loud as she could.
everyone in the office, including dr. george comes running to our stall.
this freaks her out more, and she starts flailing about on the floor like a big carp washed up on the bank. screaming, hitting, kicking.
i just keep laying there while she polishes my teeth. i try to say something like
its ooaaakkayamaaaii. but just gibberish comes out.

dr. george just said, well, looks like she is not going to be like molly, huh?

1 comment:

lh said...

what in the world possessed you? It ALMOST beats my experience with car rider line today. almost.